Labs ‘n Life is a not-for-profit community based organization whose purpose is to conduct engagement and enrichment programmes to encourage positive life decision making by youth who have been identified as at risk of marginalization through homelessness, institutionalization, disability, unemployment, poverty or similar circumstances.
Young people will be exposed to the positive experiences associated with forming a close relationship with and training Labrador Retrievers – some of whom are being trained to work as Autism Assist dogs.
Exercises in literacy and numeracy will be embedded in the curriculum in a format that reduces the stress of underachieving on the selected students, yet serves to increase competencies in these areas.
All Labs’ n Life sessions incorporate the following essential learning’s:
- Developing self-awareness and understanding with a strong sense of self-worth in social and working contexts.
- Understanding group dynamics and acting appropriately with and in relation to others
- Demonstrating respect for difference in cultural, social and vocational practices.
- Developing personal skills and abilities to create and maintain rewarding and effective relationships with individuals and groups.
- Being able to effectively use a range of communication modes to solve problems when working individually or in groups.
- Thinking critically about communication, recognising multiple intelligences, challenging assumptions and providing alternative possibilities.