At Labs ‘n Life we stop thinking of youth problems as the principle barrier to youth development and start thinking of youth development as the most effective strategy for preventing youth problems. Social inclusion and community wellbeing is based on the interaction and training of adult Labrador Retriever dogs in a peer based group environment, centered around learning responsibilities, routines and improving confidence and skill sets.
The Labs ‘n Life program enables participants to develop:
- An interest in training Labradors in basic obedience and an understanding of responsible dog ownership.
- An understanding of dog vocations in the wider community and their impact on members of our society.
- An ability to solve problems, reflect, communicate and demonstrate the knowledge they develop about Labradors and training Labradors.
- A solid foundation of knowledge about Labradors, training dogs and dogs in the wider community.
- Their literacy, numeracy, social skills, empathy, effective communication and employability skills in a practical setting.
- An understanding of citizenship and their role in becoming an effective and productive part of wider society.
- Social assimilation in working in a group environment that provides a no judgement, no stress space for young persons to be at ease.